Sunday, August 9, 2020

Still LIfe (Karnavas)


There is always a screen in my face
I can see the whole world from ten inches away
Dreaming of living in outer space
Or New Zealand

But one thing’s for sure
No matter where you go, there you are

And here I am
In touch with my digital self
Already a robot
Food for algorithms
Privileged and blind
Awake all the time
But am I woke?
Zooming in and out of one-hour classes and lifelong friendships
Delivering virtual performances and value propositions
Swabbing the pitch deck
Swabbing my nose and throat
Centered on the yoga mat
Lost in the side effects

I didn’t read the terms of service
No need to look beneath the surface
Because the companies are looking out for me
Tracking everything that I feel and see
Oh, what a relief

Summer Reading
A daunting obituary novel with rising action after rising action
Start with the motivational masking tape messages on the market floor
We’re in this together

ICU overcrowded
I see you smile with your eyes
All heroes wear masks
Stay home, stay safe
A still life is still a life

Andrew Karnavas is a music producer, recording artist, and storyteller. He is the Founder and CEO of Yawp Records and the Just Add Beats audio production after school program for kids. He performs many children’s music concerts nationwide every year as teaching artist Andyroo and the Andyrooniverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment