Sunday, August 30, 2020

Dear Canada (Robinson May)



Dear Canada,

I hope this letter finds you well. I’m truly sorry I haven’t visited lately. I suppose I’ve taken you for granted, though that was never my intention. How could I have known that everything would change?

We’ve always been in each other’s lives. You’re right there across the lake, after all. And while I’ve made many memorable trips to Ontario, my Dad’s birthplace of Nova Scotia is forever closest to my heart.

When I was a little girl, Mom, Dad, my older brother, and I would visit our grandparents in their modest home on Normandy Avenue in Truro, Nova Scotia, not far from Brookfield, where Grandpa spent his career working at the local creamery. The old lady next door chattered nonstop over the fence. Grandma held me on her lap as she played piano. Grandpa had a soft-spoken sense of humor and his blue eyes sparkled, just like Dad’s.

Eventually, my parents decided to look for a summer cottage in Nova Scotia. The small former army shack they chose had been transported to Brule Shore on the Northumberland Strait, where Dad announced we would enjoy “the warmest water north of the Carolinas!” thanks to the trajectory of the Gulf Stream. Grandma and Grandpa helped them find the place. Grandma died not long after, but Grandpa lived into his nineties. His blue eyes sparkled to the end.

I bought my first real baseball glove (lefty) at Canadian Tire in Truro. When my Dad’s younger brother and his family would come to the cottage from their home in Dartmouth, we’d play kids-versus-adults softball, and even sports-averse Dad was roped into the game. We celebrated family gatherings with lobster feasts on the deck. Time blurs by, and I’m with my husband and cousins among the adults, my two sons playing against us on the kids’ team. Canadian beer accompanies the lobster and Dad’s stuffed clams. We gaze at glorious sunsets over the water. They remind me of the song, “Canadian Sunset,” on the Mills Brothers record Dad used to play for me.

Last summer, I knew. Dad’s Lewy body dementia had advanced significantly. An early sign had been when he couldn’t locate the coffee maker in its usual spot in the cottage kitchen, several years earlier. At the time, we made nervous jokes and had whispered conversations, unprepared for the unforgiving journey to come. Travel was next to impossible for him now, but Mom was determined to bring him to Nova Scotia. Somehow, she did. My brother and his longtime girlfriend joined them. At the beginning of my teaching semester in August, I realized I had to go, if just for the weekend. This was it, our last chance to be together at the cottage. I flew to Halifax, rented a car, and drove to Brule. Home. Twilight supper on the deck. This time, the sunset brought me to tears.

And then, pandemic summer. I knew we’d lose Dad this year, ever since he’d suffered a broken hip and couldn’t follow the directions that might have helped him recover. I made a photo banner for his nursing home room, with views from the cottage, a picture of him on the deck, a picture of him with my sons showing them his childhood home - not the house on Normandy Avenue but the house he grew up in, just outside Victoria Park in Truro, the magnificent 3000-acre park that was his playground as a boy. I held Dad’s hand until I wasn’t allowed to visit anymore due to quarantine, and then when we could visit again because he was “actively dying” (what amounts to good news/bad news in this pandemic), I held his hand some more. I repeated words of comfort: “Think of the cottage, think of the garden.” He loved gardening. He loved my sons. His blue eyes sparkled to the end: June 22, 2020. Don’t ask me if he knew who I was. It doesn’t matter. Of course, he didn’t. Of course, he did.

Thanks to the pandemic, I’ve lost you too, Canada. I’ve crossed the border so many times in my life, including long before we needed passports to go back and forth. I guess I thought you’d always be there. That I could always come home to you. That nothing would change. That I didn’t have to treasure every single day we had together.

And yet. I’ve spent the past months, weeks, days working to make it possible for my older son to enter Canada to start university, despite the border being closed to most Americans because of the pandemic. We were so nervous, but you let him in. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  

When we clean up our act, your rowdy southern neighbors, I know you’ll let us come back too. I can’t wait. First, to see my son. And then to see you. Next summer, I want to stand on the deck at the cottage, surrounded by flowers Dad planted. I’ll gaze at your sunset over the sparkling blue sea. I’ll speak a soft refrain: I’ve missed you. I love you. I love you.

Claire Robinson May is a writer and playwright from Cleveland Heights. A graduate of the NEOMFA creative writing program, her plays have been performed on the stages of Talespinner Children’s Theatre, convergence-continuum, Cleveland Public Theatre, and Playwrights Local. She is a professor of legal writing at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law.

8 comments:

  1. A beautiful tribute on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful father. You are an incredible writer. I felt like I was truly along for the journey with you. You know, your childhood memories draw many parallels to ours. I remember sitting on our new lot at the corner on the first right at the end of Brule Point. The Perrins cottage was down the field and Lonnie the fisherman, his wife and son lived all year at the very end. He caught the freshest scallops ever. Down the road came our cottage on the back of a truck, an army rectangle that was moved from a construction site, where is housed onsite contractors and workers on break. All 9 of us jumping up and down with glee. It became our regular summer home after cold winters on Centre and Dominion Street in Truro. Living in our grandfather's house and visiting our other grandfather's stone house for licorice and bananas. He lived close to Victoria Park and we loved taking that route after swimming lessons at the pool there. Living across the country on Vancouver Island now, I so look forward to time dreaming on the deck at our cottage nearby on Brule Shore... Pure bliss to be sure. Take good care. Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire, this moved me beyond words, to tears. What a beautiful post. I have such fond memories of your family from our childhood years together. I also love Nova Scotia - I discovered it with Matt and we spent an incredible honeymoon there. It’s truly one of my favorite places on earth. I hope you can get back to Canada soon. It’s so great that your older son is in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear of your dad’s passing - dementia is also a hard disease to deal with too. Your parents are/were lovely people and your dad was quieter the last that we saw them but it has been great to see them arrive each summer and as the lilies bloomed he wanders the yard checking them out.

    Covid has changed a lot this year - the Shore has been quiet by times but at other times very busy as people came to be away from crowds


    Our neighbors have been changing as age or death have caused selling of some of the original homes but we will be here for a long time listening to the waves of the shore we love too

    Hopefully when you can return we will meet you - do take care and say hi to your mom

    Andrea and Darrell Weatherby

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was very well written.......I wasn’t surprised to see that you are involved in writing........very heartfelt and moving.....dripping with sincerity and care......I appreciate your appreciation of what matters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Claire, your story has brought me to tears at 8:30 am but it was lovely. Sorry for the passing of your dad and i am so very sorry you are missing making more memories at the beach. I have used a cottage at Sandpoint for 18 years and oh the memories for my family and their kids. We are now getting our own cottage just up the road and I am so happy. If you need a picture sent from you deck to hold you thru just let me know. Hope you can come back by next summer and so glad your son got to go to school here. we live in Truro. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel as though I stood beside you at your cottage as I read this. We live only 30 minutes away from our oceanside cottage in Northport, so when Premiere McNeil & Dr Strang asked cottage owners not to go to cottage country we were heartbroken. My husband is a Paramedic & that cottage heals all in times of stress & uncertainty. The joy that we felt when it was deemed safe to open for the season was immeasurable. I have always felt that this is our refuge, but never more so than this year.
    I sincerely hope that your wonderful memories bring you comfort & that next season brings you "home".

    ReplyDelete