Thursday, April 30, 2020

Resilience in a Challenging Time . . . (Smith)


This is the title of a series of talks on Sounds True network, and it’s been key to my watching myself, family, others, and the whole world in our response to this Covid-19 Virus. Like all of us, I’ve been deeply saddened by the numbers of persons suffering and dying, and with this comes my fears.  

At the same time, I’ve been amazed and moved by how people have cooperated, sacrificed, and adapted to this change in their life patterns. And so, when Sounds True host Tami asked author Danielle LaPorte her overall response, I felt confirmed that she shares that same sadness and excitement for making real change in the world. She exclaims how we have experienced a “360 degrees change in consciousness.” She speaks of feeling awake and aware and excited with what is possible for human society. “Yes,” I exclaimed… “we have done what is necessary as individuals in society.” We are staying at home, wearing masks, practicing safe hygiene, and caring for ourselves but also for others.” I felt blessed by this.

Okay, now here’s the rub. When I shared this with a men’s breakfast group on Zoom, I was struck by a friend’s saying he was not excited about such social change. I didn’t have time to ask him further, and his view has stayed with me. I later wrote to him that I was not talking about “political” change, but moral, spiritual, and real personal and social change that makes us all more human. I know my friend is an arch conservative and that, he voted for Trump in 2016, but he is also a fine, caring person. I’m perplexed by this in another way than I am by the crowds of angry people gathering to protest what I view as essential healthy practices of this safe isolation. 

My wish for him and for us all is that this old practice of ignorance and fear will no longer rule the land, but caring will awaken us to a new day.  In peace, Larry Smith

Larry Smith is a writer and editor of Bottom Dog Press in Ohio. He is also co-founder with his wife Ann of Converging Paths Meditation Center.

1 comment:

  1. If you follow the link, you have to scroll on the first page to get zdanidlle's talk, or just listen to Pema. It all helps.

    ReplyDelete