Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Earth Day 50: Pandemic Soundtrack (Camino)


Aghast at those not listening to science.
My bandanna covers my mouth and nose
But not my eyes that have seen no glory of late.
Still, in the grocery store eyeing the rainbow Swiss chard

I think of you and the songs you’d play 
On your guitar that of course would gently weep
But you did not, and I did not, for I’d tell you
Hope’s the thing with feathers and we were its mighty birds.

But hope is no longer a strategy:
The end of ice, this coronavirus.
And though there are thirteen ways of looking at it
The blackbird flies into the light of a dark black night

And the songbirds keep singing like they know the score.
No more: Serve the earth, I dare you.
And I love you, I love you, I love you
Like never before.

Marcia Camino holds an MFA in Creative Writing from the University of Alaska, Fairbanks. She is author of  Crayzee Aayzee: A Poetry Abecedarian; Oomee Boomee, Space Yogi; and The Pink Lotus Yoga Professional and Yoga Teacher Training Program Manual. She operates a yoga studio in Lakewood, Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment