Saturday, July 25, 2020

Covid Summer Notes--Monday: July 20, 2020 (Kennelly)


The virus tests my belief that
I am never bored.

Travel cancelled, home since March, still
I am never bored.

Inside, I watch through windows as
summer’s second robin batch
gobbles bright Viburnum berries.

Outside, I prune black raspberry vines
sprouted uninvited
in the daylily bed. July’s crop is in. I discover
wasps between fruit and prickly thorns.
Their many-chambered nest lies
next to my scissors.

I decide to leave that chore
till first freeze.

Inside again, I write, I nap (why not?),
I wash the summer berries
who await their fate:
Raspberry and peach clafoutis, my Covid cooking discovery,
necessity born.
Who knew this French-inspired
dish might be supper if served sans sugar?
Chickpea flour, eggs, milk, all check diet boxes.
Dessert for supper? Mais oui.

After clafoutis, the bright-lit screen awaits.

In olden days (my childhood) my personal plastic portable
radio linked to fiction.
I listened as I watched sparrows
avoid shoebox traps I’d set outside my window.
I’d draw and dream.

But now, tonight, no live theater, concerts, recitals.
I miss them; I miss reviewing, writing about them.
But I am not bored.

I notice as I finish this note
that it’s actually 20, 2020. How cool is that?

I am easily amused.
I am never bored.
So far.

Laura Kennelly’s first collection of poetry was The Passage of Mrs. Jung (Norton Coker Press, 1990). Her work has also appeared in A Certain Attitude: Poems by Seven Texas Women (Pecan Grove Press, 1995), and Letters to the World (Red Hen Press, 2010). An Ohio resident since 1996, she’s also written for Cool Cleveland, Northern Ohio Live, and Scene.

4 comments:

  1. Me neither, Laura! And I love clafouti. With lots of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this, Laura. It’s interesting how we adjust our focus to suit our circumstances: zoom in, or zoom out. I’ve really been enjoying being aware of the sky here in Western Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. I'm not bored either but for different reasons. Love your take on it. And I love that napping has come back into favor.

    ReplyDelete