Monday, September 7, 2020

The Barn Door (Leblang)


What is a perfect morning today, in the pandemic?
I wake groggy, disoriented, nowhere to go/nothing to do, full of ennui.
Do I even know what that word means? Am I using it correctly?
I don’t know though I’m a writer, and wrote a book no one will ever read--
Launched in a pandemic.

I toss and turn throughout the night
Sucking air, grappling with my pillow
Fighting demons who evaporate by morning
Leaving footprints, invisible weights on my chest.

I am shiftless, longing, hungry for distraction
Me and I are not getting along
I want to change the station, change my mood, change my story
Go back and rewrite my past—revise, refine, reflect.

Could I, like Robert Frost, go back to that fall morning
Two pathways in a yellow wood
And take the path I didn’t choose then
Knowing what I know now?

They say that hindsight is 20/20
In this year 2020 I want another chance
For intimacy, touch, relationship – a boyfriend

But at 63, in the Age of Corona
I think my horse has left the barn
And it is left to me only

To
close
the
barn door.

June 2020


Judah Leblang's new memoir Echoes of Jerry is now available at Porter Square Books in Cambridge and on Amazon.com. Find out more at judahleblang.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment