Sunday, June 7, 2020

The End of the Rope (Cerveny)


I can’t put two nights of decent sleep together. Yesterday I woke up after a solid eight hours of undisturbed restoration. All day I felt like someone had just replaced my batteries. Today, my sick cat decides the day begins at 3:38 AM and I am exhausted by 7.

Also, I just got a call that my doctor’s appointment next week will be virtual and the Clinic’s website offers seventeen pages of instruction for setting up my computer and troubleshooting. I am not feeling good about this. They say using my phone would be easier, but I already have three different pairs of glasses (reading, computer, driving) and the cataract in my right eye, which has not yet sufficiently ‘bloomed’ to repair, makes it really hard to see things on the index card of the Android screen – not to mention that my arthritis-bent fingers are always mis-touching the intended spot on the display.

Add to this the fact that the sick cat needs to be fed every two hours, like a baby, which usually requires several attempts to get her food and medication mixed EXACTLY the way she wants it, and then following her around the house with the dish every time she walks away after just two bites, which makes it hard to maintain a consistent focus on accomplishing anything. And the other cat has started to throw up at least once a day now, choosing the orientals for his deposits.

In addition, it’s been raining and the expensive pile of compost, which I ordered to mulch the garden, is slowly washing down the drain in the driveway while the weeds continue their climb above the flowering ground cover and the other plantings struggle to hold their own.

Plus, the coffee maker may be on its last legs, since I have to pour the liquid twice through the grounds to get anything resembling a cup of joe.

Neither my income tax return nor my pandemic relief check has come, the mailman didn’t take either of the stamped envelopes I left in the mailbox yesterday and for some reason I seem to have doubled up on the prescription cat food order, since another box came today. I now have 72 cans of expensive cat food, for a sixteen-year-old cat with advanced kidney disease.

And just now, that damned chipmunk has started its infernal chirping again, chipping away at what’s left of my sunny disposition.
 
Kathleen Cerveny, 2013-14 Cleveland Heights Poet Laureate and twice the City’s Haiku Death Match champion, blogs semi-regularly via Pay Attention, http://kathleencerveny.wordpress.com. Her poems have appeared in numerous journals and the international anthology, Poems for Malala Yousafzai. Her chapbook, Coming to Terms was published by NightBallet Press in 2015.

1 comment:

  1. I'm having trouble sleeping, too, and then collapse on the couch for the afternoon, not sleeping, but at least reading. And my dog is sick and his least whimper calls me up. So I am feeling this entry. One of my favorite childhood mentors once posted this at the church: "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." Maybe a double knot, Kathleen. And a granny knot. And put gloves on for friction burns and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete