Monday, June 29, 2020

Leftover Coffee (McGregor)

There are five quarts of leftover brewed coffee in my freezer, labeled by date, beginning with April 14. If our morning pot of coffee hasn’t yet gone bitter, I’ll sometimes cool what’s left, pour it into one of the plastic deli containers piled in the cupboard, and store it in the back of the freezer. I top off each frozen container until it’s full. When the plastic containers are used up, I’ve got a few empty pickle jars I can use.

The brewed coffee in our house is a blend: half high-end, half the kind my parents drank when coffee was just coffee. I want to make the good stuff last because, well, you never know. I also bought a large size container of powdered Coffeemate, an extreme measure, comparable to hoarding tins of sardines, because maybe at some point I won’t be able to get half and half. Or milk.

This is clearly pandemic-think, a scarcity mentality part Little House on the Prairie, part Walking Dead. Except rather than worrying about panthers springing out of trees, dust bowls, flesh-eating monsters, overflowing morgues or a plague with no cure, I’ve latched onto an obsession with a morning cuppa joe.

***

In college I was a waitress at a concrete-block steakhouse with large paintings of bullfighters and signed photographs of pro golfers on the walls. On Fridays and Saturdays, the line for a table filled a long, skinny hallway.

Every time I entered the kitchen to fetch brutally hot platters of Boston strips, there were two people in my immediate field of vision. On the right was Al, the grizzled chef with a blurred anchor tattoo from his Navy days, grilling steaks with a Camel non-filter dangling from the corner of his mouth.

On the left, tucked away by the shelves of gallon-sized jugs of industrial-grade soap, was Nell. Tall and angular, she seemed permanently bent in half over a huge stainless steel tub of dishes and pans she and a helper washed by hand. Whatever I saw of her face was bathed in steam and perspiration. Mostly I remember the top of her head—pinned-up wavy hair the color of steel wool, flattened under a hairnet.

One night at closing time, as I went to dump the last pot of coffee down the bar sink, Nell appeared at my side. It was the first time I’d seen her out of the kitchen, standing at full height.

She pointed to the coffee pot. “If you’re throwing that away,” she said, “I’ll take it home.” I must have looked at her quizzically.

“Tastes just fine when you warm it up in the morning.” She seemed impatient with my ignorance. “Coffee’s expensive!”

She held a just-washed, restaurant-size salad dressing jar. “Here’s what you do when the coffee’s still hot so the glass don’t break.” She put a table knife in the jar and poured in the coffee. The jar blossomed with steam but didn’t crack.

I knew nothing of Nell except the way her body bent in half over someone else’s dirty dishes. I was a college girl, the world unrolling before me like a carpet of unearned opportunities, a product of the G.I. bill and my parents’ long, slow climb to a life you could still call middle class.

Like my parents, Nell was of a generation old enough to remember saving up wartime ration tickets for sugar and butter. But my parents’ lean years had eventually eased. Nell was likely born poor, trapped her whole life in a broken system that forces a woman too old by any standard of human decency to sweat over pots and pans to make rent. The distance from the restaurant kitchen to the dining room was a matter of yards. But there was little chance she’d ever find a seat there, eating a steak cooked to her liking.

I’m not sure if my containers of frozen coffee are a paranoid hedge against want. It feels a little over the top, given that I’m sitting in my own kitchen, stocked with plenty of food. But maybe that’s the point of it, a sharp reminder of the difference between imagined and real need. The difference between scarcity mentality and scarcity.

The first time I saw Nell outside the kitchen, I realized how tall she stood. She had no time for foolishness. Dumping a pot of perfectly good coffee wasn’t just wasteful. It made no sense at all.

She still has more to teach me.

Marsha McGregor's essays have appeared in Kenyon Review Online, BrainChild, Zone 3, Fourth Genre, Literary Mama and four anthologies. Since 2008 she’s been a contributing columnist for Cleveland Magazine. She leads writing workshops for Literary Cleveland, The International Women’s Writing Guild (IWWG) and library systems. www.marshamcgregor.com.

11 comments:

  1. Vivid piece and a pleasure to read. We save leftover coffee too, but simply chilled to drink with ice the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words, Laura.

      Delete
  2. Have never been a coffee drinker but was raised to be thrifty. That feeling of scarcity never really leaves one's subconscious.
    To this day I can never quite lose the feeling of an uncertain future. This virus intensifies that uncertain feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That feeling never really does go away. My mom wore the same winter coat for years, mainly because it still looked good and didn't appear worn. It always seemed normal to me. Today, I still wear a "good dress coat" that is--I kid you not--33 years old. I still get compliments from people on it! and I love telling them how old it is.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsha, beautifully written piece. You made the images come alive with your descriptors. I connect to the act of collecting or saving something which in a way grounds us in the present state of change and distress. It also brought me right back to the luncheonettes my mom and I worked at decades ago. Reading this was a nice way to start my morning. Grateful for your words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely, thoughtful comment, Anna. That restaurant shaped my life more than I could have imagined. I've written about it over and over from different perspectives. It sounds like the luncheonettes had a similar impact on you. Many thanks. Grateful for your thoughts.

      Delete
  5. Makes me want to know about Nell. What other things please her? (Aside from thrift...) Could the writer tell if Nell found a way to be happy without lots of stuff? There's never coffee left over in my house, but...Of course, I never throw out perfectly good chicken bones. They go into the freezer to make broth, along with the vegetable clippings, etc. It's not poverty so much as it is (for me) a general sense of responsibility. Why not wear old coats if they still fit, etc.?Anyway--thanks for the vivid portrait of young you learning to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. smart living steam mop reviews

    ReplyDelete